News / Tim Atkin bestows high praise for Anthonij Rupert Wyne
Anthonij Rupert Wyne
Tim Atkin bestows high praise for Anthonij Rupert Wyne
September is met with great anticipation and excitement in the wine industry as it coincides with the release of Tim Atkin’s annual review of South African wines. In the results, announced on 3 September, 11 wines within the Anthonij Rupert Wyne portfolio scored an impressive 90+ out of a possible 100 points. The Cape of Good Hope Serruria Chardonnay 2017 scored the highest – 95 points.
Tim Atkin is a British Master of Wine as well as an accomplished, widely-travelled commentator. Early 2019 he made two trips to South Africa, and this 2019 South Africa Special Report is the product of these trips. During his time in the country he tasted a total of 2 115 South African wines, of which 160 of them were awarded 95 points or more. According to Atkin the wines he listed in his report compare with the best of any other wine producing country.
Winemaker Mark van Buuren describes the Serruria Chardonnay as showcasing a shy orange blossom bouquet with hints of spice. He adds that the pristeen grapes he receives from Altima Estates high altitude vineyards adds an unpresidented depth of character. The tangy, natural acidity gives the wine its length and lively brightness, and is beautifully balanced by fresh citrus flavours and subtle oak complexity, making the 2018 and vintages ahead particularly exciting for him.
In addition to the achievement of the Serruria Chardonnay, the remaining 10 wines in the Anthonij Rupert Wyne portfolio to score 90+ in this influential industry report were the following:
- Cape of Good Hope Southern Slopes 2015 (94 points)
- Cape of Good Hope Western Slopes 2015 (94 points)
- Cape of Good Hope Laing Semillon 2017 (94 points)
- Cape of Good Hope Altima Sauvignon Blanc 2018 (93 points)
- Cape of Good Hope Riebeeksrivier Caroline 2016 (93 points)
- L'Ormarins Blanc de Blancs 2013 (92 points)
- Cape of Good Hope Riebeeksrivier Chenin Blanc 2018 (91 points)
- Cape of Good Hope Sneeuwkrans Pinot Noir 2016 (91 points)
- Jean Roi Rosé 2018 (90 points)
- Optima 2015 (90 points)